Language Policy
NEW
To advertise here please contact
explore@museumwnf.net

Explore the Islamic Heritage of the Mediterranean in Palestinian Territories | Gaza

Madrasa of Amir Bardabak (el-Mahkama Mosque)

Madrasa of Amir Bardabak (el-Mahkama Mosque)

Info

Lies on Baghdad Street in the historical al-Shuja’iyya Quarter near the main west entrance. The site is open throughout the day.

Descriptions with thematic focus from other MWNF programmes


Madrasa of Amir Bardabak (al-Mahkama Mosque)
In Islamic Art in the Mediterranean Exhibition Trails.
Madrasa of Amir Bardabak (al-Mahkama Mosque) in PILGRIMAGE, SCIENCES AND SUFISM. Islamic Art in the West Bank and Gaza, by Mu‘en Sadeq (English, Español)
Built in 859/1454–1455 by the Amir Bardabak al-Dawadar (as revealed by the inscription plaque above the entrance), the major function of the madrasa was education, although it also held prayers, including those held on Fridays. This accords with the function of a madrasa during the Mamluk period and explains why it has a minaret, a mihrab and a minbar. During the Ottoman period the mosque was used as the religious court, hence its name al-Mahkama Mosque. However, during the British Mandate it was used as a boy’s madrasa and called the Madrasa al-Shuja‘iyya al-Amiriyya.
The main entrance portal is on the northern façade; above it is a pointed arch that has vegetal decorations. The madrasa consists of a central open courtyard that drops 1.2 m. below street level; to the south-west lies the qibla’s iwan. This is the largest part of the building and it is divided into three sections: the main, middle section contains the mihrab and the minbar, and it is covered by a fan-shaped cross vault; the two outer sections of the iwan have barrel-vaults, and pointed arches that connect them to the middle section. At one time a smaller iwan faced the qibla’s iwan from the north-west, but it has not survived. The other two sides of the courtyard, namely the northern and southern parts, held the lodging rooms for the shaykh and student’s, as well as other service rooms. Nothing has survived of these parts except the northern side, which consists of four small, domed rectangular rooms (the entrance hall being one), each measuring 3.77 m. × 3.69 m. It is the only remaining madrasa in this style in Gaza.
The minaret of the madrasa stands in the north-west corner. In the sides of the rectangular base are placed niches, alleviating the austerity of the structure. The two octagonal levels are pierced with embrasures – covered by translucent vegetal and geometric ornaments – that both ventilate the spiral staircase and allow light into the interior. At the top of the minaret, the muezzin’s gallery, which is also octagonal, rests on stone muqarnas.

Mu‘en Sadeq.

Construida en 859/1454-1455 por el emir Bardabak al-Dawadar (como indica la inscripción situada encima de la puerta), esta madrasa estaba dedicada principalmente a la educación, aunque también servía de lugar de oración, incluida la del viernes. Todas estas funciones correspondían a las madrasas en la época mameluca y explican la presencia de un alminar, un mihrab y un mimbar. En la época otomana, la actual mezquita era utilizada como sede del Tribunal Religioso, de ahí su nombre de mezquita al-Mahkama. Bajo el mandato británico, fue usada como escuela para chicos y se llamaba madrasa al-Chuya‘iyya al-Amiriyya.
La puerta principal de la madrasa está en la fachada norte y coronada por un arco apuntado decorado de motivos vegetales. La madrasa consta de un patio central —situado a 1,20 m por debajo del nivel de la calle— que tiene, al suroeste, el iwan de la qibla. Es la parte más importante del edificio, donde se pueden distinguir tres secciones: al centro, la parte principal, con el mihrab y el mimbar, está cubierta por una bóveda por arista. Las dos partes laterales del iwan están cubiertas por bóvedas de cañón y dan a la nave central a través de arcos apuntados. Frente al iwan de la qibla, en el lado noroeste, había un iwan más pequeño, aunque no se ha conservado. Los otros dos lados del patio, el norte y el sur, estaban ocupados por las habitaciones de los chayjs y los estudiantes, y por otras estancias de servicio. En la actualidad solo se conserva el lado norte, que consta de cuatro habitaciones pequeñas rectangulares y cubiertas por cúpulas, que miden 3,77 × 3,69 m. Una de estas habitaciones es la sala de entrada. Es la única madrasa de este estilo que se conserva en Gaza.
El alminar de la madrasa se eleva en el ángulo noroeste. A los lados de la base rectangular unos nichos atenúan su austeridad. El fuste es octogonal y tiene dos niveles, donde se han insertado unos vanos —decorados con motivos geométricos y vegetales— que permiten la iluminación y la ventilación de la escalera de caracol. En la parte superior del alminar, el balcón del muecín, también octogonal reposa en muqarnas.

Mu‘en Sadeq.

Madrasa of Amir Bardabak (Al-Mahkama Mosque), minaret, Gaza. Photographer: Issa Freij & Garo Nelbendian, Jerusalem
Itineraries
Select another Country
related to this Project


Select another Location
in Palestinian Territories
Select another Monument
in Gaza